One of the most important decisions to make when opening a coworking space is deciding what hours the doors should be open.
While we're still getting set up we've decided to make this easy on ourselves with a straightforward Monday - Friday, 09:00 - 19:30 schedule, hours that we're in the office anyway.
Those business hours might work just fine for some spaces, but it probably won't be enough for us here at zone6 in Bangkok.
A few things to consider:
- The Red-Eye Flight: We're 3 km from DMK international airport, with people landing at all times of day and night. We'll be offering coliving accommodation as well, which means travelers need a simple and flexible process for check-in.
- The Remote Client: When you offer private offices and dedicated desks to nomads, they probably will need to do work when their customers are awake, all around the world, not just in the local timezone.
- The Side-Hustle: Coworking is a wonderful service for entrepreneurs just starting up and experimenting with new business ideas, and a lot of these people still have full-time jobs at the beginning, so evening hours and weekends are the only time they have for working on their business.
Of course, these factors have to be balanced against more difficult staffing schedules, increased air conditioning and electrical costs, and most importantly security concerns (both real and perceived).
We've decided that a balanced, trust-based approach is the best strategy for our community:
- zone6 will be open for guests, tours and day-pass users during staffed hours from 9:00 - 19:30 Monday to Friday.
- Premium (dedicated desk) and private office members will have 24/7 access using their keycard, but with reduced lighting and air conditioning to help keep costs manageable.
- Standard (hot desk) members who arrive before 19:30 are welcome to stay until the last staff or premium member leaves for the day.
If you've worked at other coworking spaces that struck a different balance you preferred, we'd love to hear about it! We'll continue to revise our offering based on the suggestions of our members.